August 1, 2012, the Wall Street Journal published an article on sublingual immunotherapy. We have been offering allergy drops, or sublingual immunotherapy, for years. The journal article did a good job describing what science knows about the drops:
1. The drops are made of the same liquid used in the shots. While the liquid is FDA approved, taking it by mouth is an off label but very effective means of taking the liquid.
2. Drops are as effective as the shots
4. Drops are safer than shots because there is less risk of severe allergic reaction.
5. Millions of doses of drops have been given worldwide, with no deaths.
6. Cost is similar with allergy drops as shots because while the drops are not covered by insurance, they still are less than the cost of all the doctor visits required for shots.
So, if you suffer from allergies and do not want weekly shots, this is the best way to go. For more information, see our blog allergy testing: http://www.doctorhermann.com/blog/bid/129091/How-to-Treat-Food-Allergies-in-the-Tampa-St-Pete-Area
Dr. Anne Hermann, M.D. is double board certified in Internal Medicine and as a Physician Nutrition Specialist. To schedule your appointment, please call 813-902-9559.