Whether you’re looking to improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, or diminished facial volume, there’s an injection for that! Injectables encompass a category of cosmetic treatments that’s become extremely popular over the years.
One of the key benefits of cosmetic injections is that they typically require little to no downtime and don’t require anesthesia. However, you can improve the outcome of your injections with proper pre and post-care.
Before undergoing treatment with injectables, such as Botox and Juvederm, follow these pre-care tips:
- Avoid blood thinners for 10 days before treatment.
Steering clear of blood thinners will reduce your risk of bleeding and bruising from injectables. Common over-the-counter blood thinners include ibuprofen, aspirin, and Aleve. Alcohol also has blood-thinning effects and should be avoided before getting injections.
- Plan your schedule accordingly.
Although injectables typically don’t require downtime, some patients experience minor inflammation and swelling. So, we recommend scheduling your appointment around a week in advance of any social event. That way, you’ll have plenty of time to heal before showing off your rejuvenated look.
- For patients with a history of cold sores, talk to your doctor about undergoing antiviral treatment before getting injectables.
After getting cosmetic injections, practice these post-care tips to ensure the best possible results:
- On the treatment day, don’t use any products on the skin. This includes cleansers, moisturizers, serums, and makeup. You can resume your skincare routine the day after receiving injectables.
- Steer clear of strenuous physical activity for a full 24 hours after getting injections.
- Stay out of the sun and avoid heat for 72 hours after treatment.
- Avoid excessively moving or massaging the treatment area.
- To reduce swelling, minimize your salt and alcohol intake in the days after receiving injections.
- Aim to sleep with your face upward and lifted to help reduce inflammation.
- Patients who experience significant swelling can apply a cold compress to the treatment area for 15 minutes per hour. Make sure to wrap the cold compress in a towel to avoid damaging the skin.
At Hermann Aesthetics & Wellness, we’ll answer all of your pre and post-care questions for injectable treatments. Schedule a consultation with us today!