In addition to food allergy testing, our offices offer environmental allergy testing in Tampa and St. Petersburg. It involves placing small amounts of the environmental allergen, such as pollen or mold onto your skin. If you react to that allergen, then the test is positive. Instead of allergy shots, we now prescribe allergy drops that are tailored to what you test positive to. If you take the drops, your allergies will gradually resolve.
Below you will find a helpful guide to ways to avoid some of the most common environmental allergies.
Mold spores can be found indoors as well as outside. The following tips address outside allergens:
- Use a humidifier
- Avoid mowing grass, handling mulch or walking through uncut fields
- Thoroughly dry clothes
Pollens are tiny, airborne substances that are released by trees, weeds, and grasses. The following tips can help you avoid pollens:
- Stay indoors when pollen counts are high
- Keep windows in your home and car closed and set your air conditioner to “re-circulate”
- When exercising, breathe through your nose
- Take allergy medicines, if necessary, 30 minutes before going outdoors
Dust mites are invisible creatures that feed on shed skin and live in house.
- Vacuuming and clean curtains and bedding
- Change furnace and air conditioner filters often
- Use a dehumidifier
Pet allergies are triggered by exposure to the dead flakes of skin (dander) a pet sheds.
- Use a high-efficiency air filter and vacuum often
- Keep the pet in a room with a hard surface or wipe able floor
- Wash your pet weekly with warm water and soap
We are conveniently located on the corner of Cypress and MacDill near I-275, Kennedy Boulevard, and the Crosstown Expressway, just a short drive from anywhere in Tampa via I-275.
To discuss environmental allergy testing, please contact our office at (813) 902-9559.