Forms Of Mercury Toxicity

Mercury is a heavy metal occurring in several forms, all of which can be toxic in high doses.  The mercury in dental fillings is a blend of copper, silver and mercury that has been used for more than 150 years.  These fillings contain small amounts of inorganic mercury; which according to the American Dental Association is not easily absorbed.  The mercury in fish is methyl mercury which is more easily absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract.  Thus, it is easier to develop mercury toxicity from our diet than from dental fillings.  Predatory fish such as tuna, swordfish, and mackerel contain the highest concentrations of mercury.

Signs and symptoms of mercury toxicity include:  sensory impairment (hearing, vision and speech), numbness and tingling, and lack of coordination.  Testing for mercury toxicity can be performed with blood or urine.  Chelation therapy is the standard of care to treat mercury toxicity; chelation can be achieved through various routes.

Dr. Anne Hermann, a holistic internal medicine physician, offers heavy metal toxicity testing and chelation therapy in the form of suppositories to her patients.  Offices are maintained in Tampa and Saint Petersburg Beach, Florida.  Please call the office at (813) 902-9559 for more information or to schedule an appointment.